Photographs

Click on any photograph to enlarge it.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Yes, the doctor makes truck calls

You may noticed that at some of my favorite photo spots: Damascus, Palmyra, Aleppo, and the castle Krak there is a lack of photos and this is all about photos. I have been in the area before but this time there was much more wind and blowing dust and it started taking its toll. In Damascus my nose started swelling on the left side an by evening so did the eye and all energy left. I started taking antibiotics but by the time we got to Palmyra the eye swollen shut. Too tired to get lunch I stayed in the truck. The driver came back later and said it was breaking open and he found a doctor to look at it. Doc said he needed to get stuff for injection and came back in a few minutes and told me to watch how he mixed it. Watch? Why? Well because I needed 4 more injections over the next two days. Fortunately we had a great Danish midwife in our group and she took over mixing and injecting, much better than doc was. When we got to Aleppo I was able to look in the mirror for the first time. All I saw was one eye looking back at me, couldn't even see my ear because of the swelling. NO-no photos, some memories need not be acknowledged. In a couple days I was fine but missed a few great photo ops. So even in far eastern Syria in the middle of the desert the doctor does make truck calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment