Photographs

Click on any photograph to enlarge it.

Friday, April 9, 2010

White Terraces of Pamukkale


Drove of in the mountains to the white terraces of Pamukkale. It was much colder with new snow on the mountains. The white pools and terraces are formed by limestone laden hot springs. The Romans must have enjoyed them as they built bath houses and a large theater on top. With the increase in tourism the limestone formations suffered, now to climb the terraces you must go barefoot. I left the hotel at 5:30 AM to catch the early light. At the start there was much more water running than I have seen before, in fact, due to two days of rain it was a cascade. OK, shoes off, you forget how cold walking half mile or more uphill barefoot in the cold can be. You also must walk back and it didn't seem any warmer. Every once in a while you would find a hot patch of water but you don't want to fall with your camera gear while walking on sharp gravel and limestone ridges . Due to the fact the guard was asleep at the entrance and the police at the top didn't wake up when there dog barked at me, I was able to get in with my tripod. A couple hours later my luck ran out when I got caught in the theater with tripod. So it was off back downhill-barefoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment