Photographs

Click on any photograph to enlarge it.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

RIP kodachrome

While most of my photography has been in black and white, before digital all my color was done with Kodachrome film. When we were kids my dad used Kodachrome film in a Argus C3 camera to take pictures of us then showed them as slides with the Kodak slide projector. Today, December 30, 2010 is the last day Kodachrome will ever be developed. There is one lab in Kansas that still processes it and that line will be shut down today. The chemicals, made only by Kodak, will never be make again. One of it's main advantages was that it was long lasting color film. I have some of my families slides from over 50 years ago and the colors are as good as when first taken, no other color film comes close and with digital no one knows how long the files will last to say nothing about the life of the media we store them on. Can anyone still work with files we saved on floppy discs? If I could put sound on the blog I'd put on Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" which is playing as I type this.

No comments:

Post a Comment