Photographs

Click on any photograph to enlarge it.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Cave near Poipu


Along a small stream between Poipu and the beaches at Maha'ulepu is a cave. Most of the roof has fallen in now but when I was here over 20 years ago it only had a small hole to let in light and there was a large banyan tree growing in it. The only entrance was through a triangular hole about three feet high along the stream bed.  I carried my 4x5 film camera in and what light was coming in I made a photo of the Banyan that took a 24 minute exposure and is one of my favorite photos. A week later Hurricane Iniki hit Kauai and the storm surge and wind destroyed the tree along with the roof of the cave. Recent excavation in the cave have reveled artifacts from all stages of human occupation of the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment